Seedstars is a group headquartered in Switzerland / Geneva on a mission to impact people’s lives in emerging and frontier markets through technology and entrepreneurship. We operate 2 main activities to achieve our mission: (A) We work in partnership with development agencies, governments, corporate partners, and private donors to develop entrepreneurship ecosystems, create jobs, and fuel income growth. (B) We invest in high-growth technology companies in impactful sectors (fintech, ed-tech, agritech, health tech, etc) in emerging markets.
About the Programs business
Seedstars Programs consults multilateral and bilateral organisations, governments, and private sector foundations on customized interventions and financing solutions for small and growing businesses (SGBs) in emerging markets. Our goal is to create thriving entrepreneurship ecosystems and generate positive social and economic impact in the global south and developing economies.
We support our clients in:
- Developing entrepreneurship ecosystems (insights and advice on policy, finance, culture, support infrastructure, human capital, and markets) based on our proprietary Seedstars Index.
- Designing and co-creating customized interventions and implementing programs based on the segmentation of businesses and their specific needs.
- Setting up innovative development finance facilities and managing capital flows (VC & Equity program funds, Convertibles, Catalytic finance instruments, Impact linked finance, blended finance, result or revenue-based finance, loans, mezzanine, grants, etc.).
- Measuring and managing the impact of programmatic interventions.
The majority of our projects are sustainable development goal (SDG) driven and tackle some of the world's most pressing challenges like climate action, gender equality, migration, and financial inclusion.
About the opportunity
In order to continue to move our mission forward to impact people’s lives in emerging markets through technology and entrepreneurship, we are seeking advisory board members for Seedstars Programs. Advisors will be instrumental in providing us with the guidance and direction needed to continue to strategically build the right public and private sector partnerships.
Advisors will work closely with our management team and the regional directors, and receive support from the Seedstars partnership management staff. The advisory board members will meet on an as needed basis, but at least once every quarter and will communicate via email. The advisor opportunity does not offer any monetary consideration and is on volunteer-basis at this time.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Management and Leadership
- Coordinate with country leads, directors, and program units to ensure a unified approach to resource mobilization.
- Provide leadership to the program’s communications team in public relations, including the development of key messages, and external resources.
- Management support for a remote and globally distributed team.
- Ensure the implementation of a networked approach through the definition and application of clear roles and responsibilities across the organization.
Resource Mobilization - Planning and Strategy
- Participate in an overarching planning process, develop recommendations, and assist in implementing and monitoring goals.
- Identify emerging trends, interests, methodologies and priorities in the development sector and proactively communicate to adapt strategies for positioning Seedstars competitively
- Synthesize market intelligence to optimize project and program design efforts to strengthen programs and ensure they are consistent with the mission.
- Assess opportunities and risks of income-related decisions and oversee the development of policies, strategies, and objectives to guide fundraising, investment, and partnership decisions.
- Assist in annual budget planning, provide financial oversight and financial controls support.
Resource Mobilization - External Engagement and Partnerships
- Build on Seedstars' existing networks and open new large and influential partnerships with high-priority bilateral and multilateral donors (e.g., USAID, USDA, EU, governments of Germany, Global Environment Facility, Green Climate Fund, the U.K., IADB, IFAD, FAO, and the World Bank), research, university, and technical partners, and INGOs.
- Foster and cultivate relationships with the private sector, philanthropic funding community, and garner support through participation in relevant industry events, and organizational engagement.
- Enhance Seedstars public standing and garner support through the community.
- You embody the following Seedstars Values:
- #Out of the comfort zone: you have an entrepreneurial mindset, and can thrive in a fast-paced environment where things are not fully defined
- #Independently Together: You can work well alone but are also an amazing team player. You know how to lead and motivate a team
- #Follow the money: You are extremely results-oriented and know how to drive sales activity (as well as motivate your team to do so)
- You care about the solutions being created for entrepreneurs and clients, and are good at building trust and relationships
- You have a strong worth ethic, meaning you are motivated, trustworthy and take initiative and possess an unbounded intellectual curiosity that you channel toward driving impact for the region
- Your Experience:
- A proven track record and deep expertise in designing and developing of high-quality projects and proposals in selling to ODA ecosystem actors and mobilizing funds in the development sector
- You have a strong network with our target client groups and donors (bilateral & multilateral organizations, NGOs, private sector foundations, etc.)
- Experience in new or more innovative forms of setting up development projects for entrepreneurs in EMs
- You have a deep understanding of finance and Know-how in solving the financing needs of beneficiaries through various financial mechanisms such as (Debt financing, Revenue-based financing, etc), Impact Bonds
- You have experience in managing effective sales teams
- Demonstrated sales experience in the entrepreneurship and innovation space
Why do our team members love working with us?
- We are on a mission that is bigger than all of us: to impact people’s lives in emerging markets through technology and entrepreneurship
- You work in an entrepreneurial culture where you’re surrounded by a young and diverse team
- We offer autonomy and flexibility with a flat hierarchy and a strong belief that responsible people should have the freedom to do their work when and how they want
- We were awarded as one of the most democratic workplaces in the world due to our freedom-centered practices
We are an equal opportunity employer with a diverse mix of nationalities and backgrounds represented in our company. We truly value diversity and believe that the cultural landscape of our organization should reflect the types of work that we engage in and the places where we do it. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status and strongly encourage women, people from emerging markets, and those from historically underrepresented groups to apply to all of our roles at Seedstars