Are you passionate about startups, excited about innovation, and want to play an important role in developing the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Africa? If so, join the Seedstars World Team!
About Seedstars World
At Seedstars World, we run the largest seed-stage tech competition in emerging markets to source top companies and provide them with networking opportunities, mentoring and access to funding. It is now the largest startup network in emerging markets uniting over 2000+ startups, investors, accelerators/incubators, corporates, media/press and government agencies.
The competition reaches new heights with the yearly Regional Summits, (1 per region: Africa, Asia, CEE, MENA, Latam) uniting all of the stakeholders in the region under one roof; it is then followed by the Seedstars Summit held in Switzerland every year.
About Seedstars Summit
At the Seedstars Summit, we unite the top players interested in connecting, building and investing in emerging markets. It is the biggest Entrepreneurship and Innovation Forum for emerging markets that takes place across all continents.
About the job
We work with our new talents to help them develop core skills, learn more about different startup ecosystems, and deep dive into impact creation both within Seedstars and in the world as a whole. It's a great opportunity to play a key role in organizing the largest tech events dedicated to startups in emerging markets, worldwide.
This role is divided in two parts :
- First, you will get involved in the organisation of our Africa Regional Summit to be held in November/December 2019 - location to be confirmed. (Timeline: July to December)
- Second, based on your performance assessment after the Regional Summit you would continue and participate in the organisation of the Global Seedstars Summit to be held in April 2020 in Lausanne, Switzerland. (Timeline: January to May)
The tasks include but are not limited to:
- Planning, execution and follow-up for the Africa Regional Summit and then the Global Seedstars Summit
- Assist with all other event preparation, from inception to day-of execution to post event wrap-up
- Key responsibilities
- Operations & Logistics
- Coordinate event logistics such as registration, hotel, catering, transportation, networking activities, etc.
- Supervise and coordinate event contractors and suppliers, including budget negotiation
- Order, distribute, and manage all event materials and execution items
- Design offline and online communications material
- Stakeholder and speaker research
- Manage Social Media and communication with some specific stakeholders, including post-event
- Support with content creation
- Support on event wrap-up and reporting
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to details
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Speaking French and/or Portuguese would be a plus
- Strong communication skills, ability to communicate on time, in an impactful way to both team members and external stakeholders
- Ability to balance strategic thinking and on-the-ground concrete and swift actions
- Previous event organisation experience preferred
- Startup ecosystem + Innovation knowledge is preferable
- Strong belief in getting things done - We are nomads traveling around the world so it is important to have drive, ownership and execution. Working in remote with an international team, you have to be comfortable working alone and capable to prioritize and make things happen
- An ability to connect - comfortable in new environments and more importantly loving engaging with new people and circumstances. You must be able to network and connect with different types of people.
Benefits and perks
- Exposure to cultures and ecosystems from over 70 countries
- Build your network in emerging markets of tech entrepreneurs and investors
- Join a young, passionate and growing team of entrepreneurs & facilitators
- Access to our internal Academy with dedicated courses on growth hacking, finance or online marketing.
- Upon successful completion of the Regional Summit and global Seedstars Summit, a full time position may be presented
Location & Starting date
Location : either South Africa or Zimbabwe - to be confirmed when the final location is defined. Potentially 3 weeks in Switzerland in March/April 2020.
Starting date : beginning of July 2019